Interest subsidy on edu loans for backward class students
Sivaganga: Centre has sanctioned interest subsidy on education loans availed by economically backward students to pursue higher education in government recognised
colleges, according to MA Siddique, special Secretary to home Minister P Chidambaram.
In a release he said the Union Government had accepted the recommendation of the Indian Banks` Sammelan to provide this subsidy and that a letter in this regard has been received from Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee.
The release said the Home minister had received complaints from educational loan beneficiaries that they were forced to pay interest and penal interest by banks from which they had taken the loans.
When Chidambaram contacted Mukherjee over this, he was told that the Centre had accepted the Sammelan`s recommendation to provide interest subsidy on education loans.
The finance ministry also informed that certain rules had been framed for interest subsidy on education loans. The subsidy would be given to eligible candidates from 2009-10, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!