Interest subsidy on educational loans
New Delhi, June 25: Students from disadvantaged
economic backgrounds will no longer face financial problems in
pursuit of higher education as the government is set to launch
an interest subsidy scheme on educational loans taken by them.
"The government is launching a new scheme on interest
subsidy on educational loans taken for professional courses by
economically weaker students," HRD Minister Kapil Sibal told
reporters here today.
The scheme, which is awaiting the approval of the
Cabinet, is intended to make funds available for higher
education to a large community of deserving students.
Under the new scheme, students can get loans from
government with subsidised interest.
"We will give interest subsidy on education loans
taken by students because we are interested in the education
of poor students," he said.
However, those students whose family income is less
than Rs 4.5 lakh per annum will be eligible under the scheme.
The students will avail the benefit for a moratorium period
which is one year from completion of the course or six months
from joining a job, whichever is earlier.
The scheme has already got the approval of Expenditure
Finance Committee. An estimated Rs 4,000 crore will be given
to needy students during the 11th Plan period under this
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Coal India Limited's 66 coal mine projects facing delays
- Tax dept asks officers to suggest changes in direct tax laws
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony