Interest subsidy on educational loans
New Delhi, June 25: Students from disadvantaged
economic backgrounds will no longer face financial problems in
pursuit of higher education as the government is set to launch
an interest subsidy scheme on educational loans taken by them.
"The government is launching a new scheme on interest
subsidy on educational loans taken for professional courses by
economically weaker students," HRD Minister Kapil Sibal told
reporters here today.
The scheme, which is awaiting the approval of the
Cabinet, is intended to make funds available for higher
education to a large community of deserving students.
Under the new scheme, students can get loans from
government with subsidised interest.
"We will give interest subsidy on education loans
taken by students because we are interested in the education
of poor students," he said.
However, those students whose family income is less
than Rs 4.5 lakh per annum will be eligible under the scheme.
The students will avail the benefit for a moratorium period
which is one year from completion of the course or six months
from joining a job, whichever is earlier.
The scheme has already got the approval of Expenditure
Finance Committee. An estimated Rs 4,000 crore will be given
to needy students during the 11th Plan period under this
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you