International award to be instituted in Tagore`s name: PM
New Delhi: Describing Nobel laureate
Rabindranath Tagore as a "multi-faceted genius", Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday announced that a prestigious
international award will be instituted in his name.
"Government of India has decided to institute a
prestigious international award in the name of Rabindranath
Tagore to recognise very distinguished contributions towards
the promotion of international brotherhood and fraternity,"
he said inaugurating the 150th anniversary celebrations of the
He said a jury headed by the Prime Minister will
select each year from across the globe a citizen of
outstanding public eminence who in his or her life and work
"epitomises the high universal ideals that Tagore stood for."
The first award, he hoped, would be presented by the
end of the commemoration period.
Noting that the poet was a multi-faceted genius,
Singh said a wide range of projects are being undertaken as
part of the anniversary celebrations to make Tagore`s work
more accessible to a wider audience and to preserve his works
Underscoring his commitment to the revival of Viswa
Bharati "which stands as a living symbol of the poet`s
enduring faith in the learning ability and creative power of
the young mind and free spirit", he said a special grant of Rs
95 crore would be given to the varsity.
"I can think of no more important task than the
revival of Viswa Bharati. As a chancellor of the university,
I am personally committed to this important task. The
Government of India is putting a lot of resources into Viswa
Bharati including a special grant of Rs 95 crore," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'