International diamond grading facility launched at Surat
Surat: A state-of-the art laboratory to test and grade gemstones and fine jewellery was launched here Thursday.
"The intent is to come closer to the manufacturers and polishers and extend technical expertise in the art of polishing and grading diamonds," said Roland Lorie, director of International Gemological Institute Worldwide, the world`s largest supplier of rough diamonds, who inaugurated the laboratory.
"The new facility will bring Surat closer to its final customers - Americans, Europeans and Asians," added Lorie.
With more than 4,000 diamond polishing factories employing over 400,000 polishers, Surat exports Rs.72,184 crore worth of cut and polished diamonds annually.
The Surat facility is the second lab in India devoted to diamond certification. It will offer a jewellery design programme, besides customised courses for diamond houses, jewellers and retailers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!