International diamond grading facility launched at Surat
Surat: A state-of-the art laboratory to test and grade gemstones and fine jewellery was launched here Thursday.
"The intent is to come closer to the manufacturers and polishers and extend technical expertise in the art of polishing and grading diamonds," said Roland Lorie, director of International Gemological Institute Worldwide, the world`s largest supplier of rough diamonds, who inaugurated the laboratory.
"The new facility will bring Surat closer to its final customers - Americans, Europeans and Asians," added Lorie.
With more than 4,000 diamond polishing factories employing over 400,000 polishers, Surat exports Rs.72,184 crore worth of cut and polished diamonds annually.
The Surat facility is the second lab in India devoted to diamond certification. It will offer a jewellery design programme, besides customised courses for diamond houses, jewellers and retailers.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani