International diamond grading facility launched at Surat
Surat: A state-of-the art laboratory to test and grade gemstones and fine jewellery was launched here Thursday.
"The intent is to come closer to the manufacturers and polishers and extend technical expertise in the art of polishing and grading diamonds," said Roland Lorie, director of International Gemological Institute Worldwide, the world`s largest supplier of rough diamonds, who inaugurated the laboratory.
"The new facility will bring Surat closer to its final customers - Americans, Europeans and Asians," added Lorie.
With more than 4,000 diamond polishing factories employing over 400,000 polishers, Surat exports Rs.72,184 crore worth of cut and polished diamonds annually.
The Surat facility is the second lab in India devoted to diamond certification. It will offer a jewellery design programme, besides customised courses for diamond houses, jewellers and retailers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY