International diamond grading facility launched at Surat
Surat: A state-of-the art laboratory to test and grade gemstones and fine jewellery was launched here Thursday.
"The intent is to come closer to the manufacturers and polishers and extend technical expertise in the art of polishing and grading diamonds," said Roland Lorie, director of International Gemological Institute Worldwide, the world`s largest supplier of rough diamonds, who inaugurated the laboratory.
"The new facility will bring Surat closer to its final customers - Americans, Europeans and Asians," added Lorie.
With more than 4,000 diamond polishing factories employing over 400,000 polishers, Surat exports Rs.72,184 crore worth of cut and polished diamonds annually.
The Surat facility is the second lab in India devoted to diamond certification. It will offer a jewellery design programme, besides customised courses for diamond houses, jewellers and retailers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie