Internet most potent tool of terrorists for recruitment: Pillai
New Delhi: Terrorists are using the
Internet as the "most potent tool" to rope in youths and carry
out espionage operations in the country, Home Secretary G K
Pillai said Monday.
"Terrorist attacks like that in Mumbai were
facilitated by communications from the handlers over Internet
and Internet has become one of the most potent recruitment
tool for extremists and terrorists," he said.
Government is in the process of reviewing and updating
the national cyber security strategy to improve data security,
Pillai said at a conference on the challenge posed by cyber
crimes organised by NASSCOM`s Data Security Council and
He said government has formulated a crisis management
plan and created a national computer emergency response team
CERT-IN which is the national nodal agency in the cyber
security and also works with international partners.
The Home Secretary also raised the issue of improving
cyber security certification system in the country.
"When we were looking at the import of telecom
infrastructure equipment in India, we found that we don`t have
lab (for certification) in India and now we have just one lab
in Kolkata which can do the level three certification. We need
far more labs to come up in India, if we have to make sure
that equipment that comes as part of infrastructure and many
other sectors is in one sense safe," he said.
Pillai said domestic laws are in place but there is
absence of any "harmonised" international legal framework in
tackling cyber crimes which are "borderless".
"Because the bulk of servers are outside India, when
you want help, when you move to law enforcement agencies of
other countries, help comes sometime but it comes very late,
its delayed and many times they are not willing to give us
information citing privacy issues," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you