Interpol notice against Hafiz, Lakhvi
New Delhi: The Interpol tonight issued Red
Corner Notices against Lashkar-e-Taiba founder chief Hafiz
Muhammad Saeed and mastermind of Mumbai terror strike
The Red Corner notice was issued against 59-year-old
Saeed and Lakhvi (48) after a Mumbai court issued a
non-bailable warrant against the two for their role in the
November 26, 2008, attacks in the financial hub.
India had also sent proof and request for issuing a
similar warrant against Lashker commander Zarar Shah and Abu
Al Qama, to which the the Interpol has said that it was
analysing the evidence against them.
Red Corner Notices (RCN) were issued after CBI
approached the international agency for the same with
non-bailable warrants issued by a trial court against
Pakistan-based Saeed and Lakhvi, which became the basis for
seeking the RCN from the Interpol.
Non-bailable warrants were issued by a Mumbai Court on
June 23 against Saeed and 22 others, including Lakhvi and
suspected military official Col R Saadat Ullah for allegedly
hatching a conspiracy to carry out the Mumbai terror attack
Special Judge M L Tahaliyani had issued the warrants
asking the Mumbai Police Commissioner and the CBI director to
execute them through the Interpol and produce the absconders
before the court soon.
Saeed had allegedly provided training to terrorists
between 2007 and 2008-end at Muridke (LeT headquarters),
Manshera, Muzzafarabad, Azizabad, Paanch Teni in Pakistan and
Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK).
In December last year, UN Security Council had imposed
sanctions on Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD), front organisation of
banned LeT, declaring it a terrorist outfit and labelled
Saeed and Lakhvi as terrorists.
The Council had asked all member-countries to freeze
their assets and imposed travel ban and arms embargo against
The decision was taken by the Council`s sanctions
committee on al-Qaeda and Taliban which put JuD and the four
individuals on the Consolidated List of persons and entities
connected with the al-Qaeda and Taliban.
Besides Saeed and Lakhvi, two other top leaders of LeT
-- Haji Muhammad Ashraf and Zaki-ur-Bahaziq -- have also been
declared as terrorists by UNSC.
India had sought a ban on JuD after LeT was blamed for
the terrorist attacks in Mumbai.
The United States had sought a ban on Lakhvi, operations
leader of LeT, who is suspected to have planned the Mumbai
attacks, Ashraf, a JuD financier, and Bahaziq, an India-born
Saudi national who was suspected of collecting funds for the
banned organisations in Saudi Arabia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh