Interpol notice against Hamza, 19 others
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 22:16
  
New Delhi: Interpol today issued Red Corner notice against a Lashker-e-Taiba terrorists wanted in connection with Mumbai terror strikes in November last year.

The Interpol issued notice against Abu Hamza, accused of motivating and training the 10 terrorists sent to Mumbai for carrying out the terror strike.

Ajmal Iman Kasab, the lone arrested terrorist in the attack, had revealed the names of his Pakistani handlers, including Abu Hamza, Abu Jindal, Abu Qama and Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, who saw them off when they boarded a ship at Karachi.

Hamza had advised them on how to go about the terror attacks, how to place bomb in a taxi and how the 10-member terrorist team should go about their mission.

The Interpol had last night issued Red Corner Notices against Lashkar-e-Taiba founder chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed and mastermind of Mumbai terror strike Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi.

The Red Corner notice was issued against Saeed (59) and Lakhvi (48) after a Mumbai court issued a non-bailable warrant against the two for their role in the attacks in the country's financial hub. Saeed was earlier on the United Nations Global Watch list.

CBI spokesman said Blue Corner notices were issued against 19 people including Col R Sadat Ullah, believed to be a Pakistani army personnel.

Through this, India has sought additional information about their identity or activities in relation to a crime from Interpol Member countries.

The notice will restrict his free movements and bring International pressure on Pakistan to act on him, but the sincerity to do so remains doubtful, security experts in India say.

"It brings international pressure on Pakistan to act because now he (Saeed) will not be allowed to go abroad. He will be deported or extradited to India if he goes abroad because of the RCN," former Indian High Commissioner to Pakistan G Parthasarthy said.

He said it would be difficult for Pakistan to say that he is free and we don't have any evidence against him.

Former Chief of Intelligence Bureau, Ajit Doval said, "We hope that Pakistan, which claims to be at the forefront of the war on terrorism, will take note of it and arrest and proceed against him."

Parthasarthy however added that India committed serious blunder by assuming that he would be handed over to us or tried honestly in Pakistan.

"India made a fundamental blunder in assuming that we can persuade Pakistan to either try him honestly there or extradite him here.

Bureau Report


First Published: Wednesday, August 26, 2009, 22:16


comments powered by Disqus