Investigating agency to probe misleading ads
New Delhi: The government is planning to set up an agency to look into consumer complaints against misleading advertisements, Food and Consumer Affairs Minister
KV Thomas has said.
"At present, we do not have any agency to investigate the consumer complaints regarding misleading advertisements. We are considering creating an agency to investigate under the
Department of Consumer Affairs," Thomas told reporters here last evening.
In August, the Consumer Affairs Ministry had formed an inter-ministerial committee to consider various options to deal with the issue of misleading ads.
Last month, the Prime Minister`s Office had directed the ministry to put in place a regulatory mechanism to keep a check on such advertisements.
Yesterday, the minister met representatives of the Advertising Standard Council of India (ASCI) as part of the government`s initiative to check misleading ads.
The proposed agency will have experts from various fields to check the claims made by companies in their advertisements.
"For instance, if an advertisement of a product promises fair skin within a period, a medical expert will examine such claims," a senior ministry official explained.
Thomas expressed concerns over rising consumer complaints against misleading ads particularly in regional languages.
Pointing out that there are three-four legislations under different ministries that deal with misleading ads, he said: "We are discussing how there can be a co-ordination between
At present, the Food Processing, Health and Information and Broadcasting Ministries are separately dealing with misleading advertisements under various acts.
The government intends to ensure that people are not misled through such advertisements.
At present, there is not a proper mechanism to ensure accountability of companies making promises through such advertisements, an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE:CM Fadnavis thanks people of Maharashtra for 'huge' victory as BJP clinches 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway