IO cross-examination in nun rape case from Wednesday
Cuttack: Cross examination of key
prosecution witness and the investigating officer (IO) in the
Kandhamal nun rape case will begin here Wednesday.
Crime branch deputy superintendent of police Dilip
Mohanty is the IO in the case since the time the department
was entrusted to investigate the case in 2008.
The nun of Baliguda Catholic church was allegedly raped
during the communal riots of August 2008 in the aftermath of
the murder of VHP leader Swami Laxmananada Saraswati and four
of his disciples on August 23, 2008.
The chief examination (examination by prosecution
counsel) of Mohanty ended on Tuesday in the chamber of
Cuttack district sessions judge, who is holding trial in the
case since August 2010 after the case was transferred here
from a Phulbani court following directions from Orissa High
Ever since the Cuttack court began trial, cross
examination and deposition of as many as 28 prosecution
witnesses are over.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another