IO cross-examination in nun rape case from Wednesday
Cuttack: Cross examination of key
prosecution witness and the investigating officer (IO) in the
Kandhamal nun rape case will begin here Wednesday.
Crime branch deputy superintendent of police Dilip
Mohanty is the IO in the case since the time the department
was entrusted to investigate the case in 2008.
The nun of Baliguda Catholic church was allegedly raped
during the communal riots of August 2008 in the aftermath of
the murder of VHP leader Swami Laxmananada Saraswati and four
of his disciples on August 23, 2008.
The chief examination (examination by prosecution
counsel) of Mohanty ended on Tuesday in the chamber of
Cuttack district sessions judge, who is holding trial in the
case since August 2010 after the case was transferred here
from a Phulbani court following directions from Orissa High
Ever since the Cuttack court began trial, cross
examination and deposition of as many as 28 prosecution
witnesses are over.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference