IO cross-examination in nun rape case from Wednesday
Cuttack: Cross examination of key
prosecution witness and the investigating officer (IO) in the
Kandhamal nun rape case will begin here Wednesday.
Crime branch deputy superintendent of police Dilip
Mohanty is the IO in the case since the time the department
was entrusted to investigate the case in 2008.
The nun of Baliguda Catholic church was allegedly raped
during the communal riots of August 2008 in the aftermath of
the murder of VHP leader Swami Laxmananada Saraswati and four
of his disciples on August 23, 2008.
The chief examination (examination by prosecution
counsel) of Mohanty ended on Tuesday in the chamber of
Cuttack district sessions judge, who is holding trial in the
case since August 2010 after the case was transferred here
from a Phulbani court following directions from Orissa High
Ever since the Cuttack court began trial, cross
examination and deposition of as many as 28 prosecution
witnesses are over.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India