IO cross-examination in nun rape case from Wednesday
Cuttack: Cross examination of key
prosecution witness and the investigating officer (IO) in the
Kandhamal nun rape case will begin here Wednesday.
Crime branch deputy superintendent of police Dilip
Mohanty is the IO in the case since the time the department
was entrusted to investigate the case in 2008.
The nun of Baliguda Catholic church was allegedly raped
during the communal riots of August 2008 in the aftermath of
the murder of VHP leader Swami Laxmananada Saraswati and four
of his disciples on August 23, 2008.
The chief examination (examination by prosecution
counsel) of Mohanty ended on Tuesday in the chamber of
Cuttack district sessions judge, who is holding trial in the
case since August 2010 after the case was transferred here
from a Phulbani court following directions from Orissa High
Ever since the Cuttack court began trial, cross
examination and deposition of as many as 28 prosecution
witnesses are over.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video