IPL controversy: Cong to take view after all facts come out
New Delhi: After distancing itself from the controversy surrounding Union Minister Shashi Tharoor on the IPL issue, Congress on Wednesday said it may take a view on it after all the facts come out.
"The party may take a view after all the facts come out," party General Secretary Janardhan Dwivedi said. Dwivedi had said yesterday that the party had nothing to do with the controversy. "Let him explain. Let others explain what is the truth," he had said.
Tharoor is battling allegations that a beautician romantically linked to him had received Rs 70-crore free equity in Kochi IPL team.
54-year-old Tharoor`s latest troubles started with the IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi publicly disclosing the names of some of the owners of a consortium that recently bought the Kochi IPL franchise for a whopping USD 333 million.
Rendezvous Sports World private limited, the company that led the consortium, received 25 percent free equity.
Out of this free equity, 19 percent is said to have gone to Sunanda Pushkar, a Kashmiri beautician closely linked to Tharoor who is reportedly planning to marry her after divorcing his second wife, a Canadian. This equity is valued at nearly USD 16 million(approx. Rs 70 crores). Tharoor admitted "mentoring" the consortium and said
in a statement that "Rendezvous includes a number of people including many I have never met, and Sunanda Pushkar, whom I know well."
He has denied any wrongdoing.
Meanwhile, Congress president Sonia Gandhi today held consultations with senior party leaders Pranab Mukherjee and A K Antony at her residence.
The meeting comes ahead of the second part of the Budget Session tomorrow. Mukherjee is also Leader of Lok Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS