IPL controversy: Cong to take view after all facts come out
New Delhi: After distancing itself from the controversy surrounding Union Minister Shashi Tharoor on the IPL issue, Congress on Wednesday said it may take a view on it after all the facts come out.
"The party may take a view after all the facts come out," party General Secretary Janardhan Dwivedi said. Dwivedi had said yesterday that the party had nothing to do with the controversy. "Let him explain. Let others explain what is the truth," he had said.
Tharoor is battling allegations that a beautician romantically linked to him had received Rs 70-crore free equity in Kochi IPL team.
54-year-old Tharoor`s latest troubles started with the IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi publicly disclosing the names of some of the owners of a consortium that recently bought the Kochi IPL franchise for a whopping USD 333 million.
Rendezvous Sports World private limited, the company that led the consortium, received 25 percent free equity.
Out of this free equity, 19 percent is said to have gone to Sunanda Pushkar, a Kashmiri beautician closely linked to Tharoor who is reportedly planning to marry her after divorcing his second wife, a Canadian. This equity is valued at nearly USD 16 million(approx. Rs 70 crores). Tharoor admitted "mentoring" the consortium and said
in a statement that "Rendezvous includes a number of people including many I have never met, and Sunanda Pushkar, whom I know well."
He has denied any wrongdoing.
Meanwhile, Congress president Sonia Gandhi today held consultations with senior party leaders Pranab Mukherjee and A K Antony at her residence.
The meeting comes ahead of the second part of the Budget Session tomorrow. Mukherjee is also Leader of Lok Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick