Iran has right to pursue civil nuclear ambitions: India
Berlin: India on Thursday stressed on the need for a diplomatic solution to the "complicated" matter of Iran`s contentious nuclear programme even as it supported Tehran`s right to pursue civil nuclear ambitions for peaceful purposes.
The views were expressed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during his interaction with German Chancellor Angela Merkel here.
Apart from trade issues, the two leaders also discussed crucial international issues such as combating terrorism, Afghanistan, Iran`s nuclear programme and situation in Syria.
On Iran, Merkel said they discussed the issue "briefly" with eye on ongoing (P5+1) talks. "I am personally disappointed that the ongoing negotiations have not proved successful. As far as Germany is concerned, we are quite concerned there".
The talks between five UN permanent members along with France and Iran are being held with focus on Tehran`s nuclear programm.
US, Israel, and some of their allies have repeatedly accused Iran of pursuing non-civilian objectives in its nuclear energy program.
However, Iran rejects the allegations, arguing that as a committed signatory to the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), it has the right to use nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.
The Iranian delegation is headed by Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Saeed Jalili while the EU foreign policy chief, Catherine Ashton, represents the P5+1 group -- Britain, China, France, Russia, the US and Germany.
However, on his part, Prime Minister Singh talked about the issues such as India`s dependence on Iranian Oil and presence of Indian population in that region while reiterating country`s position.
While supporting Iran`s right to pursue its civil nuclear ambitions for peaceful purposes, Singh also said as a NPT signitory Tehran should not go nuclear weapon way.
The Prime Minister also said diplomacy should be given greater chance to resolve this "complicated" matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi