Iran should fully cooperate with IAEA: India
United Nations: India on Wednesday said Iran should fully cooperate with the International Atomic Energy Agency with a view to restoring confidence of the international
community that its nuclear programme is peaceful in nature.
India`s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Hardeep Singh Puri said India has "consistently supported" the right of all nations to peaceful uses of nuclear energy in accordance with relevant international treaties to which they are a party.
"Iran should fully cooperate with the International Atomic Energy Agency to restore the confidence in the exclusively peaceful nature of its nuclear programme," Puri said participating in a UN Security Council briefing here on Iran and UN Resolution 1737, which had imposed sanctions against Tehran for failing to stop its uranium enrichment programme.
Puri said India welcomes the recent exchanges between Iran and the UN nuclear watchdog, expressing hope that the outstanding technical issues concerning the Iranian nuclear programme will be resolved peacefully through Tehran`s cooperation with the IAEA.
India also welcomes the decision to resume talks between Iran and the P5 + 1 nations - UNSC`s five permanent members and Germany. "These talks should serve as an important
confidence building measure and help avoid escalation of the situation," Puri said.
Puri further added that India supports the full implementation of relevant resolutions of the Security Council concerning the Iranian nuclear issue.
He, however, said while implementing these resolutions, it is necessary that all efforts should be made so that legitimate trade and economic activities do not suffer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family