Irani for stringent punishment for rape culprits
New Delhi: Culprits of the paramedical student gangrape case in the national capital should be handed stringent punishment and speedy trials should be ensured in such cases, BJP MP Smriti Irani said on Wednesday.
"Those who are sympathetic to the fact that rapists should not be hanged need to see the medical reports how brutally she (the rape victim) was traumatised. Human rights activists were more bothered about the rapists` fate. These men should not only be hanged, if allowed, shot dead in public," Irani told reporters outside Parliament.
Taking on Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, she said, "I heard the Home Minister statement yesterday. Home Minister has become very efficient in just making statement and not taking any action."
"There are many leaders who are talking about stringent action in Parliament. But I have always seen that every time such incidents happened, we are outraged, express our dismay but we actually don`t do anything constructive on the ground to prevent such cases. If we want to prevent such cases then justice has to be seen to be done on faster pace," the Rajya Sabha MP said.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde had yesterday said he agreed with the views of the MPs and had promised to take necessary steps to ensure safety of women in Delhi.
"It is proposed to have this case (the gangrape case) tried by a fast-track court, with a request for day-to-day hearing, so that the trial does not linger...If there are any lapses, strict action will be taken against the police officers concerned," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan