Irani for stringent punishment for rape culprits
New Delhi: Culprits of the paramedical student gangrape case in the national capital should be handed stringent punishment and speedy trials should be ensured in such cases, BJP MP Smriti Irani said on Wednesday.
"Those who are sympathetic to the fact that rapists should not be hanged need to see the medical reports how brutally she (the rape victim) was traumatised. Human rights activists were more bothered about the rapists` fate. These men should not only be hanged, if allowed, shot dead in public," Irani told reporters outside Parliament.
Taking on Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, she said, "I heard the Home Minister statement yesterday. Home Minister has become very efficient in just making statement and not taking any action."
"There are many leaders who are talking about stringent action in Parliament. But I have always seen that every time such incidents happened, we are outraged, express our dismay but we actually don`t do anything constructive on the ground to prevent such cases. If we want to prevent such cases then justice has to be seen to be done on faster pace," the Rajya Sabha MP said.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde had yesterday said he agreed with the views of the MPs and had promised to take necessary steps to ensure safety of women in Delhi.
"It is proposed to have this case (the gangrape case) tried by a fast-track court, with a request for day-to-day hearing, so that the trial does not linger...If there are any lapses, strict action will be taken against the police officers concerned," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...