IRCTC needs to be modernised, says Trivedi
New Delhi: With frequent complaints about
IRCTC services, Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi on Wednesday
expressed dissatisfaction with its functioning, saying the
corporation needs to be modernised.
"I am not happy with the Indian Railway Catering and
Tourism Corporation, the way it is functioning. We had a
meeting on IRCTC yesterday. The website of the IRCTC needs to
be strengthened and modernised," Trivedi told reporters.
There have been frequent complaints about IRCTC services
including its catering service on board trains and its online
passenger reservation system
Railways have already divested the IRCTC, a PSU under
it, from catering responsibility after recurring complaints
about its service.
The Minister informed that SIMRAN (Satellite Imaging
Rail Navigation) system for tracking trains on real-time basis
would be operational soon.
Admitting the lack of basic amenities outside railway
stations, Trivedi said he will write to all Chief Ministers
and Mayors for improving the conditions outside stations.
"We have plan for modernisation of stations to provide
more facilities like restaurant, mall, bookstore, multiplex
for passengers," he said.
Trivedi said all rail land records would be digitalised.
On railways social responsibility, he said "Out of 150
projects only 14 are financially viable. But all these
projects are socially desirable. There are remote areas which
are strategically important and need to be linked with rail."
On public private participation (PPP) he said "we cannot
move ahead without PPP. We have to have PPP. In 12th Plan one
trillion dollars is reuired for infrastructure. and out of
this 50 per cent is coming from private sector."
He said each MP wants train stoppage and new train for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened