Irom Sharmila charged for suicide attempt; she says `I love life`
New Delhi: Social activist Irom Sharmila, who has been on fast for about 12 years demanding the repeal of the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), refused to plead guilty of attempting suicide on Monday.
However, a Delhi court framed charges against the activist.
Metropolitan Magistrate Akash Jain framed charges against her for attempt to commit suicide and issued showcause notice to Sharmila after she refused to plead guilty.
She told the court that she "loves life and does not want to take her life".
Sharmila, who was present in the court, refused that she attempted to commit suicide here at Jantar Matnar in 2006.
She said: "I only want justice."
"If I wanted to commit suicide I might have died. My protest was non-violent for my demand, just to live as human being," she added.
She appeared before the court under IPC 309 (attempt to commit suicide) for fasting at Jantar Mantar in Delhi.
The court hearing the case told Sharmila: "We respect you but the law of land does not permit you to take your life."
When asked if she tried to commit suicide she replied "No".
The court earlier told her counsel to explain to her that maximum punishment in the case was a few months to a year and that she has been in custody for more than six years, so if she pleads guilty, the case would be settled on Monday.
Meanwhile, her supporters are protesting outside gate no 2 of Patiala House Court, which has been closed by police.
They raised slogans for justice and against AFSPA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj