Irom Sharmila charged for suicide attempt; she says `I love life`
New Delhi: Social activist Irom Sharmila, who has been on fast for about 12 years demanding the repeal of the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), refused to plead guilty of attempting suicide on Monday.
However, a Delhi court framed charges against the activist.
Metropolitan Magistrate Akash Jain framed charges against her for attempt to commit suicide and issued showcause notice to Sharmila after she refused to plead guilty.
She told the court that she "loves life and does not want to take her life".
Sharmila, who was present in the court, refused that she attempted to commit suicide here at Jantar Matnar in 2006.
She said: "I only want justice."
"If I wanted to commit suicide I might have died. My protest was non-violent for my demand, just to live as human being," she added.
She appeared before the court under IPC 309 (attempt to commit suicide) for fasting at Jantar Mantar in Delhi.
The court hearing the case told Sharmila: "We respect you but the law of land does not permit you to take your life."
When asked if she tried to commit suicide she replied "No".
The court earlier told her counsel to explain to her that maximum punishment in the case was a few months to a year and that she has been in custody for more than six years, so if she pleads guilty, the case would be settled on Monday.
Meanwhile, her supporters are protesting outside gate no 2 of Patiala House Court, which has been closed by police.
They raised slogans for justice and against AFSPA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Turkey discharges generals, shuts media outlets after coup
- Fed leaves rates unchanged but says US economy improving
- French church attackers pledged allegiance to ISIS in video
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region