Irom Sharmila charged for suicide attempt; she says `I love life`
New Delhi: Social activist Irom Sharmila, who has been on fast for about 12 years demanding the repeal of the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), refused to plead guilty of attempting suicide on Monday.
However, a Delhi court framed charges against the activist.
Metropolitan Magistrate Akash Jain framed charges against her for attempt to commit suicide and issued showcause notice to Sharmila after she refused to plead guilty.
She told the court that she "loves life and does not want to take her life".
Sharmila, who was present in the court, refused that she attempted to commit suicide here at Jantar Matnar in 2006.
She said: "I only want justice."
"If I wanted to commit suicide I might have died. My protest was non-violent for my demand, just to live as human being," she added.
She appeared before the court under IPC 309 (attempt to commit suicide) for fasting at Jantar Mantar in Delhi.
The court hearing the case told Sharmila: "We respect you but the law of land does not permit you to take your life."
When asked if she tried to commit suicide she replied "No".
The court earlier told her counsel to explain to her that maximum punishment in the case was a few months to a year and that she has been in custody for more than six years, so if she pleads guilty, the case would be settled on Monday.
Meanwhile, her supporters are protesting outside gate no 2 of Patiala House Court, which has been closed by police.
They raised slogans for justice and against AFSPA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand