Irom Sharmila charged for suicide attempt; she says `I love life`
New Delhi: Social activist Irom Sharmila, who has been on fast for about 12 years demanding the repeal of the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), refused to plead guilty of attempting suicide on Monday.
However, a Delhi court framed charges against the activist.
Metropolitan Magistrate Akash Jain framed charges against her for attempt to commit suicide and issued showcause notice to Sharmila after she refused to plead guilty.
She told the court that she "loves life and does not want to take her life".
Sharmila, who was present in the court, refused that she attempted to commit suicide here at Jantar Matnar in 2006.
She said: "I only want justice."
"If I wanted to commit suicide I might have died. My protest was non-violent for my demand, just to live as human being," she added.
She appeared before the court under IPC 309 (attempt to commit suicide) for fasting at Jantar Mantar in Delhi.
The court hearing the case told Sharmila: "We respect you but the law of land does not permit you to take your life."
When asked if she tried to commit suicide she replied "No".
The court earlier told her counsel to explain to her that maximum punishment in the case was a few months to a year and that she has been in custody for more than six years, so if she pleads guilty, the case would be settled on Monday.
Meanwhile, her supporters are protesting outside gate no 2 of Patiala House Court, which has been closed by police.
They raised slogans for justice and against AFSPA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown