Irom Sharmila may have to return to hospital soon: Family
Kolkata: Despite her release from detention, Manipur`s rights activist Irom Chanu Sharmila`s family is apprehensive that she might have to go back to hospital as she cannot survive fasting without being force-fed through nose.
"Her health is good now but how long can she last like this without being force-fed through nose? Her health will deteriorate in the next few days and then she will again have to be taken back to the same hospital room," Sharmila`s brother, Irom Singhajit, told PTI from Imphal.
He said their family is fully supporting her non-violent struggle against the Armed Forces Special Powers Act for which she has been on a fast for the last 14 years.
Having refused to take food and water all these years, she is forcibly nose-fed at a special ward of the Jawaharlal Nehru Hospital where she is under police detention.
A local court in Imphal had yesterday ordered the release of the civil rights activist after absolving her of the charge of attempt to commit suicide by means of fasting.
"This is a big moral victory for her but the demands are yet to be fulfilled. People of Manipur will now get the chance to be with her as she leads the fight in the open," Singhajit said.
Sharmila`s long-time associate Babloo Loitongbam said they have been emphasising all along that the intention has never been to commit suicide.
"We now appeal to the government to not look at Sharmila as a problem but focus on the problems related with AFSPA," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’