Irom Sharmila supporters protest in Delhi
New Delhi: Demanding revocation of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, (AFSPA) over 30 supporters of Manipur`s "Iron Lady" Irom Sharmila Chanu gathered outside Patiala House Court Monday morning and raised slogans in support of her campaign.
The renowned rights activist has been on an indefinite hunger strike since Nov 2, 2000 in Manipur, demanding the withdrawal of AFSPA from the state after witnessing the killing of 10 people by the army at a bus stop near her home.
Raising slogans "we want justice" Bhavan Meiti, a journalist from Manipur said: "We demand the repeal of the draconian AFSPA which violates the human rights of people in the name of curbing the insurgency. We are with her (Irom Sharmila) the `Iron Lady` of Manipur."
"The army often misuses the power given to it by the government. The demand to revoke AFSPA is not the demand by the people or by few activists, but even the committee appointed by the central government has recommended it," Meiti said.
Sharmila appeared at the Patiala House Court in connection with a fast unto death protest she had staged against AFSPA at Jantar Mantar here in 2006.
Meanwhile, another protester Djorgi, a student from northeast said that Irom Sharmila is not just an activist fighting for a cause in the northeast, but a symbol of "women power".
"She is not a terrorist. Nobody has been allowed to meet her and she is not allowed to meet anybody. The way she is being confined for such a long time is violation of human rights," Alok Singh, from Krantikari Yuva Sanghatan, said.
Sharmila, who has been on fast for about 12 years demanding the repeal of the controversial AFSPA was flown to Delhi from Manipur Sunday, reached the court here in the attempt to suicide case, slapped against her due to her 2006 protest.
She is now in judicial custody and is being forcibly fed with a feeding tube through the nose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves