Irregularities in CWG OC transaction audit: CAG
New Delhi: The Comptroller and Auditor
General has found a number of irregularities in its
transaction audit of the Suresh Kalmadi headed Organising
Committee of the 2010 Commonwealth Games, causing a loss of
over Rs 68.46 crore.
The details, given by the CAG in response to an RTI
application filed by activist Subhash Chandra Agarwal,
pertains to the periods 2005-2007, 2007-2008 and 2008-2009.
The CAG in its audit report of 2007-08 accounts had
raised a red flag over what it called "irregular" award for
the contract for Queen`s Baton Relay.
Incidentally, the QBR held last year in London is
under the scanner of a number of investigating agencies like
CBI and Enforcement Directorate.
Among the major audit objection by the CAG, there are
inconsistencies in grant of pay and allowances and perquisites
to staff, irregular grant of festival allowance, lag in
achievement of targets as planned for infrastructure
development, excess expenditure against the approved budget,
undue favour to consultant amounting to Rs 25.31 crore in
sponsorship and licensing technical services agreement.
Others included undue favour in award of work, loss of
revenue amounting to Rs 24.60 crore, avoidable expenditure of
Rs 4.11 crore on renovation of IOA Bhavan and avoidable
payment of rent and maintenance charges amounting to Rs 1.44
The CAG has also pointed out many other irregularities
which in total comes to loss of over Rs 68.46 crore.
It said an audit has also been taken up after
conclusion of the Games but refused to give any details citing
that dissemination of information before it is placed in
Parliament many breach Parliamentary privilege.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning