Is China preparing to up the ante against India?
New Delhi: Even as India remains concerned about China`s posture along its disputed border and Beijing`s aggression in the Indian Ocean and Asia-Pacific region, New Delhi now fears that the Communist-run country is planning for war with us.
As per an English news channel, which claims to have accessed a confidential security document, the threat of a war is so real that it is now being discussed in the highest echelons of power in Delhi. What adds to the concerns is that the warning comes just months before the 50th anniversary of the Indo-China war in 1962.
The news channel reported that India’s external intelligence unit, the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), has submitted a report to the government on the possibility of a skirmish or an incident triggered by China on the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
Basing its assessment on the heightened activity on the Chinese side of Indo-China border, RAW said that Beijing may mull such an action to divert attention from its internal problems.
As per the report, China has, for the first time, stationed fighter planes in Tibet Autonomous Region throughout the winter months and also commissioned new radars close to the border – apparently to track Indian movement.
The report claims the People`s Liberation Army (PLA) has recently conducted large-scale India specific exercises in Tibet.
China’s move to target India after threatening to go on a war with Philippines over South China Sea appears to be aimed at preventing an all out confrontation in its east over a contentious issue which may see the western powers, including US, closing ranks with Jakarta.
The urgency in the Chinese leadership for some “action” is believed to be intended to douse flames of political uncertainty in the country in the run-up to the 18th party congress, which would determine a power transfer in March next year.
Interestingly, James Clapper, Director of US National Intelligence had said in February that Indian Army is strengthening itself for a "limited conflict" with China - suggesting that India has been in the know of the brewing trouble on its eastern border for some time and has been quietly preparing to meet any eventuality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand