Is Delhi High Court blast accused dead?
Jammu: Questions are being raised on whether
Junaid Akram Malik, wanted by National Investigation Agency
(NIA) in connection with the Delhi High Court blast, is alive.
The J&K police is verifying reports emanating from
Kishtwar town, 226 km from Jammu, that Junaid, on whom NIA has
announced a reward of Rs 10 lakh, is believed to have been
killed by his own cadre of Hizbul Mujahideen terror group
fearing that he may surrender.
"Yes, we are verifying the reports as they are emerging
from credible sources now," highly-placed sources said today.
The state police, which achieved a breakthrough in
the September Delhi High Court blast case by arresting the
accused who had sent the email to media houses, has fanned
several teams into the higher reaches for verifying the
reports, the sources said.
In a discreet operation, a kin of Junaid, whose medico
brother Wasim Akram Malik was arrested from Bangladesh after a
probe by the state police, was engaged in pursuing the accused
However, it has been more than three weeks that the
communication with the kin has fallen silent as well and there
was no mention about Junaid in the intercepts, the sources said.
Based on intelligence provided by local sources, both
Junaid and the kin roped in for his surrender are believed to
have been killed by Chota Hafeez, a Hizbul Mujahideen
terrorist and also an accused in Delhi High Court blast.
Junaid was the younger brother of Wasim and NIA had
announced a reward of Rs 10 lakh on him. In its over 1,000
page chargesheet, the NIA had charged him with providing
explosive material to two Pakistani nationals as well.
J&K Home Department had also warned NIA from making
any publicity about Junaid but the central agency ignored the
repeated pleas of the state police and not only published the
pictures in newspapers but also pasted posters in Kishtwar
town, the sources said.
A senior state police official, associated with the
probe, said the case was cracked by the district police and it
was mentioned that NIA should refrain from making public any
conspirators as it could not only hamper the probe but also
endanger the lives of the wanted people.
NIA, after failing to make much headway, had requested
two officers including Deputy Inspector General of Police
Muneesh Sinha and Superintendent of Police B S Tuti on short
term deputation to the central organisation.
NIA Chief SC Sinha had sent the request to Director
General of J&K Police Kuldeep Khoda who deputed Sinha for
three weeks during which other accused were arrested in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India