Is PM God to give us occasional darshan: Kharge
New Delhi: "Is Prime Minister a God that he should give us darshan" once in a while, leader of Congress in the Lok Sabha Mallikarjun Kharge remarked sending the members into peals of laughter on Wednesday.
The poser by Kharge was in response to external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj`s dig at him over his remarks on Tuesday that Narendra Modi should show his face in Parliament at least once a week.
Swaraj said since he made the complaint on Tuesday, the Prime Minister was in the House during Question Hour on Wednesday and "you had his darshan".
Pat came the reply from Kharge whether "the Prime Minister is God to give occassional darshan".
"The Prime Minister should show his face, at least, once in a week. I do not expect him to come here every day.
After the Budget Session, he did not come to the House," Kharge had said on Tuesday.
Swaraj earlier took a swipe at Kharge noting that Manmohan Singh had gone to five BRICS summits as Prime Minister but did not give any statement to Parliament even once.
Only once the external affairs minister had made a statement, she said, adding the new government was setting up a new tradition by giving a statement on the Prime Minister`s visit to Brazil to participate in the sixth BRICS summit.
Kharge said though Swaraj was competent and articulate, the House would have liked the Prime Minister to make the statement.
On Congress leader`s dig that the Prime Minister did not take her to the BRICS summit, Swaraj said if the Budget session of Parliament was not on, then she would have gone with the Prime Minister to the summit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family