Is Prez`s Rs 6 cr car meant for Batman? Varun
New Delhi: BJP on Wednesday took potshots at
President Pratibha Patil for getting a Rs 6 crore armoured
Mercedes car for her use, saying it appears to have been made
for superhero Batman, and has been procured at a time when the
poverty line is being fixed at a mere Rs 32 per day.
"Colossal extravagance of spending 6 Cr on President`s
car laughable, if not tragic, at a time when aam aadmi
expected to live on Rs 32 a day," BJP national secretary Varun
Gandhi said on Twitter today.
"Car can run on flat tyres, has self-sealing fuel tank.
Fire extinguishing system is bomb proof.. Is this for Pratibha
Patil or Batman?" he added.
Patil has been given a Mercedes Benz armoured car whose
unique features provide security from military-standard
small-arms projectiles and fragments from hand grenades and
The government has spent around Rs 6 crore for the car,
according to sources.
The specially built car has space for meetings and also
boasts of the latest communications and entertainment systems.
A normal version of the car was displayed at the 2010
Auto Expo. Patil`s car will have a special air intake system
which can circulate fresh air even if there are poisonous
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred