Ishrat case: Cops who spilled the beans likely to be let off
Ahmedabad: CBI, which submitted its first chargesheet in the 2004 Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case, has not named ten police officers who might have spilled the beans about the offence and are likely to be let off.
"In this chargesheet we have not included ten of those accused who were named in our FIR, and soon we would be submitting a report under section 169 of the Criminal Procedure Code with regard to them," CBI lawyer Ejaz Khan had said while submitting the charge-sheet before the court here yesterday.
Under section 169, an investigating officer can request the court to release an accused when evidence is inadequate, or if there are other reasonable grounds.
CBI has recorded several statements before the magistrate.
The original CBI FIR of December 2011 had 20 accused, including the aforesaid ten -- mostly constable and commando-level officers, barring a police inspector.
These men are: Devendragiri Goswami, H P Agrawat, P G Vaghela, R I Patel, K M Vaghela, C J Goswami, Bhala Bharwad, Vikram Chauhan, Kalu Desai and Bharat Patel (inspector), all posted at Detection of Crime Branch (DCB), Ahmedabad, which carried out the encounter, which CBI claims was fake.
CBI sources also said that IPS officer G L Singhal too provided critical information and material during his interrogation.
Singhal, alongwith four other accused police officers, has been granted bail by the court as CBI failed to file chargesheet within the mandatory 90 days of arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself