Ishrat case: Fourth SIT chief Verma takes charge
Ahmedabad: RR Verma Thursday took charge as
the fourth chief of the Special Investigation Team (SIT)
probing the Ishrat Jahan police encounter case at the agency`s
office in Shahibaug area here.
Verma, a 1978 batch IPS officer, was appointed as
chairman of the three-member SIT set up by Gujarat High Court
which is monitoring the probe.
He is currently posted as Additional Director General
with the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) in Delhi.
"I have taken charge of the SIT today following the
orders of the Gujarat High Court and the notification issued
in this regard by the Gujarat government," Verma told
reporters after taking charge.
"From here we will be moving forward with the
investigations. I cannot tell you the direction as I have just
taken charge," said Verma, who was accompanied by other two
SIT members, Mohan Jha and Satish Verma.
The IPS officer was appointed as SIT chief on July 19
after J V Ramudu, an Andhra Pradesh cadre IPS officer who was
assigned with the responsibility on July 15 by the High Court,
declined to join citing health reasons.
Ramudu had further said his consent in the matter
was not taken by the Union government, which was contrary to
the statement made by it before the division bench of Justice
Jayant Patel and Abhilasha Kumari hearing the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM