Ishrat case: Gujarat HC notice to CBI, state govt
Ahmedabad: A division bench of Gujarat High
court today issued notices to CBI and the state government in
the Ishrat Jahan encounter case of 2004.
The court began hearing the case after the Supreme Court
had on April 19 asked it to constitute a division bench on the
petitions filed by Gopinath Pillai, father of Javed Ghulam
Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai, who was one of the three
persons killed along with Ishrat.
A division bench of Justices Jayant Patel and Z K Saiyed
issued the notices while hearing the petition by Gopinath
seeking CBI inquiry into the killing of his son.
The court has asked the Gujarat government and CBI to
file reply by July 5.
It also asked Pillai`s lawyers to file their rejoinder
with regard to the government and CBI`s reply by July 9, and
scheduled the matter for hearing on July 14.
Mumbai resident Ishrat (19) was killed along with
Pranesh, Amjad Ali alias Rajkumar Akbar Ali Rana and Jisan
Johar Abdul Gani in a police encounter near Ahmedabad on June
The Gujarat police had then claimed that Ishrat and the
three others were LeT operatives who were on a mission to kill
Chief Minister Narendra Modi and the encounter was carried out
based on inputs from the Central intelligence.
Judicial Magistrate S P Tamang, however, had held the
encounter as "fake" and said it was executed in cold blood by
some police officials for their personal benefit.
The court would also be hearing a bunch of petitions
including one by SP in the Anti Terrorist Squad (ATS) Girish
Singhal and the state government.
Singhal has contended that report of the judicial
magistrate which had held the encounter as "fake" and sought
prosecution of the officers responsible for the killing, be
set aside. Singhal is one of the officers indicted in Tamang`s
report of September, 2009.
The state government has also opposed Tamang`s report by
contending that the inquiry by the magistrate was outreaching
The government also moved another application seeking
extension of the special investigation team that was set up by
the High Court to inquire into the case.
All the petitions which are related to the same case
would be heard together by the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Deepika Padukone finds spot in world's highest paid actresses list
- Leak of documents relating to Scorpene submarines serious matter: DCNS
- Akshay Kumar cheers for Sonakshi Sinha's 'Akira'
- Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi to visit India next month
- Saudi Police foil mosque suicide bombing: Ministry