Ishrat case: IB, CBI chiefs meet Home Secretary
New Delhi: A meeting of chiefs of CBI and IB was held on Thursday following the probe agency`s decision to summon Special Director of Intelligence Bureau Rajinder Kumar in the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case.
The meeting was chaired by Union Home Secretary R K Singh which also saw a surprise presence of former CBI Chief A P Singh, who is at present member Union Public Service Commission, official sources said.
The sources said while the IB Director Asif Ibrahim pressed for the need to maintain confidentiality in the ongoing probe, CBI Director Ranjit Sinha assured that the same would be done.
Sinha said CBI had enough evidence to back the summons issued to Kumar, a 1979-batch Manipur-Tripura cadre IPS officer, seeking to examine him again in connection with the Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case probe.
In a related move, Kumar has sought exemption from appearance before CBI till Tuesday citing personal reasons.
CBI had issued fresh notices to the officer under the provisions of the Code of Criminal Procedure as previous examination of the officer was not satisfactory and replies given by him, the agency said, appeared diversionary.
A decision about his custodial interrogation will be taken only after the fresh round of questioning.
CBI sources said the agency plans to file charge sheet soon in connection with the fake encounter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi