Ishrat innocent; Muslims can`t be blamed for reacting to atrocities: Pawar
Pune: Terming Ishrat Jahan, who was killed in an alleged fake encounter by Gujarat police, as an "innocent college girl", Union Minister and NCP chief Sharad Pawar on Saturday said Muslims cannot be blamed for reacting to "atrocities" against them.
He brought up the issue of framing of "innocent" Muslim youths in 2006 Malegaon bomb blasts by investigating agency, saying such incidents not only "inflicted unprecedented agony on their families but also virtually eroded their sense of belonging to India".
Referring to Ishrat Jahan encounter killing, Pawar said "what was her mistake? How can an innocent college girl be a terrorist? Three persons were shot dead in this encounter and now the police officers involved are being interrogated. But those families were ruined".
Pawar was addressing party workers at a meeting at Hinjewadi here.
"(In Malegaon bomb blasts case)..Nineteen Muslim youths were imprisoned for three years (before the alleged Hindu extremists were booked) ruining their lives. How would they feel that they belong to this country? We have to change our mindset with regard to this community", he said.
Pawar said "if someone gets angry because of such atrocities and reacts, how can he be blamed?"
Calling for a change in the system and outlook of the administrative apparatus, the NCP president asked his partymen to stand for truth even if it meant losing of votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'