Ishrat Jahan case: CBI to arrest IB officer for murder?
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is likely to arrest an Intelligence Bureau officer for the alleged murder of Ishrat Jahan in an encounter, reports said on Monday.
The Supreme Court on Friday had issued a notice to the CBI on the bail plea of suspended Deputy Superintendent of Police NK Amin who is in jail in connection with the 2004 Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
Meanwhile, CBI is likely to delve in detail the role of four IB officials including the former Special Director Rajinder Kumar in the Ishrat Jahan case in its supplementary charge sheet which has been finalised.
CBI sources said today that its investigating officers will give details of the role played by Rajinder Kumar, Rajeev Wankhede, MK Sinha, and T Mittal--all IB officials who were posted at its Gujarat unit when the encounter took place in 2004. The charge sheet has been sent to CBI Director Ranjit Sinha for his approval.
The sources Amit Shah, a former Gujarat Minister and a close aide of Chief Minister Narendra Modi, may not be named in the charge sheet which is likely to be filed soon.
They said although the team`s findings have been finalised a final decision on the charge sheet could only be taken by the CBI Director.
The CBI Director can raises questions on the findings and may ask for further probe on any issue mentioned in the final report submitted by the investigating officers.
The sources said the supplementary charge sheet may not given antecedents of the victims--Ishrat Jahan, Javed Sheikh, Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar but could be mentioned in another supporting charge sheet that is being mulled by the agency.
Agency sources said a final decision on the antecedents of the victims could be taken if the agency gets a reply to its judicial request from Pakistan. Johar and Rana were alleged to be Pakistani terrorists who had come to eliminate BJP leaders, the sources said, adding the agency is looking to trace their background but remained unsuccessful so far.
The sources said this may not be final charge sheet in the case. The agency might file one more charge sheet giving further details on the meetings involving Gujarat officials and ministers which took place purportedly to save the police officials who were named as accused in the encounter.
Gujarat Police had claimed in its FIR that Johar and Rana were actually Pakistani citizens who had come to India to eliminate VIPs of the state.
CBI, which is probing the case, has been able to get detailed information about Ishrat and Javed as it included the statements of their relatives and people known to them in the charge sheet filed on July 3.
It has so far not been able to reach any conclusive point on the identity of Johar and Rana. CBI has in its charge sheet neither given any details about the antecedents of the duo nor the motive of their presence in Gujarat.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Pakistan briefs China on alleged human rights violations in Kashmir Valley
- Russia loses appeal against Paralympics ban in Rio next month
- Google unveils Android Nougat for Nexus devices
- BSNL waives installation charges on new landline connections
- Xiaomi Mi 5 gets a huge price cut; know the new rate here