Ishrat Jahan case charge sheet sparks Cong-BJP war of words
New Delhi: The CBI chargesheet in Ishrat Jahan encounter case Wednesday sparked a fresh war of words between Congress and BJP with Congress targetting Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi while BJP asking Congress not to play politics on the issue of terror attacks.
Congress launched a sharp attack on Modi and saying the "truth speaks for itself from the rooftop" and alleged the Chief Minister`s role in such encounters will also be exposed.
"He (Modi) will also be exposed some time. Truth comes out at one point or the other. Truth speaks for itself from the rooftop. Someday, you will come to know of the real face of the Gujarat Chief Minister," AICC general secretary Madhusudan Mistry told reporters.
"All the people from Gujarat know that this encounter was fake. During a period of three months, when there were talks about removing Modi as Chief Minister, such encounters took place with frequent intervals propping up a theory that there was an attempt to murder Modi," he added.
On the other hand, BJP said the charge sheet in the Ishrat Jahan case "underplays" the role of LeT and terrorists and "indicts" security agencies, "demoralising" them in the process.
The opposition party also questioned CBI`s silence, which "raised more questions than answers" on the role of those accompanying Ishrat Jahan as they are said to be involved in terrorist activities.
"BJP thinks, this charge-sheet, which has been filed, very clearly underplays the role of LeT, underplays the role of terrorists and certainly indicts the security apparatus and demoralises them in the process," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
Reminding the government that the Ishrat Jahan encounter took place when the Congress-led UPA was in power at the Centre, she said, "Congress party should stop playing politics on terrorist attacks, terrorist encounters because this is an issue concerning the security of the nation."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India