Ishrat Jahan case charge sheet sparks Cong-BJP war of words
New Delhi: The CBI chargesheet in Ishrat Jahan encounter case Wednesday sparked a fresh war of words between Congress and BJP with Congress targetting Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi while BJP asking Congress not to play politics on the issue of terror attacks.
Congress launched a sharp attack on Modi and saying the "truth speaks for itself from the rooftop" and alleged the Chief Minister`s role in such encounters will also be exposed.
"He (Modi) will also be exposed some time. Truth comes out at one point or the other. Truth speaks for itself from the rooftop. Someday, you will come to know of the real face of the Gujarat Chief Minister," AICC general secretary Madhusudan Mistry told reporters.
"All the people from Gujarat know that this encounter was fake. During a period of three months, when there were talks about removing Modi as Chief Minister, such encounters took place with frequent intervals propping up a theory that there was an attempt to murder Modi," he added.
On the other hand, BJP said the charge sheet in the Ishrat Jahan case "underplays" the role of LeT and terrorists and "indicts" security agencies, "demoralising" them in the process.
The opposition party also questioned CBI`s silence, which "raised more questions than answers" on the role of those accompanying Ishrat Jahan as they are said to be involved in terrorist activities.
"BJP thinks, this charge-sheet, which has been filed, very clearly underplays the role of LeT, underplays the role of terrorists and certainly indicts the security apparatus and demoralises them in the process," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
Reminding the government that the Ishrat Jahan encounter took place when the Congress-led UPA was in power at the Centre, she said, "Congress party should stop playing politics on terrorist attacks, terrorist encounters because this is an issue concerning the security of the nation."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India