Ishrat Jahan case: IB officials charged with murder, conspiracy; Amit Shah not named
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
Ahmedabad: The Central Bureau of Investigation on Thursday filed a supplementary chargesheet in the alleged Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case.
While the agency has not named Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s close aide Amit Shah in the supplementary chargesheet, it has charged former Intelligence Bureau official Rajendra Kumar in the case.
Apart from Special Director Rajinder Kumar (now retired) who has been named as the main accused, three other serving officials - P Mittal, MK Sinha and Rajiv Wankhede - have also been named in the second chargesheet filed in the case.
They have been charged under section 120-B (criminal conspiracy), murder, wrongful confinement, kidnapping, wrongful concealment, PTI report said.
Kumar has been additionally charged under Arms Act with CBI alleging that he had provided arms to the accused on June 14, 2004, a day before the encounter took place.
The CBI alleged in its supplementary charge sheet that Kumar, who was the then Joint Director of IB, handed over arms and ammunition to G Singhal of Gujarat police who onpassed the weapons to Tarun Barot through Nizamuddin Sayeed. These arms and ammunition were used in executing the crime.
The chargesheet was filed in the Ahmedabad special court.
CBI sources had earlier claimed that they have enough evidence against the IB officials who are suspected to have been involved in the conspiracy to carry out the encounter.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs