Ishrat Jahan encounter: CBI has enough proof to nail IB officer
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Intelligence Bureau special director Rajendra Kumar is in the dock after being named as an `accused` in the 2004 fake encounter of Ishrat Jahan and four others.
CBI director Ranjit Sinha on Thursday said that they have enough evidence to prove Kumar alleged involvement in the fake encounter.
The CBI move hasn`t gone down well with the IB and its chief SA Ibrahim has complained to the PMO.
Reports said the agency may question the IB officer on June 18 in connection with the case.
The role of Kumar, a 1979-batch IPS officer from Madhya Pradesh cadre, is under scanner for allegedly providing fake intelligence input. Kumar was posted in the Gujarat Intelligence Bureau when the fake encounter took place.
Meanwhile, the CBI has transferred IPS Satish Verma from its probe team. Verma was nominated into the Special Investigation Team (SIT) by Ishrat Jahan`s mother.
On the directive of the Gujarat High Court, the CBI had taken over the probe into the case in which 19-year-old Ishrat, Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004 allegedly by a Crime Branch team led by the then DIG DG Vanzara.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400