Ishrat Jahan encounter: CBI has enough proof to nail IB officer
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Intelligence Bureau special director Rajendra Kumar is in the dock after being named as an `accused` in the 2004 fake encounter of Ishrat Jahan and four others.
CBI director Ranjit Sinha on Thursday said that they have enough evidence to prove Kumar alleged involvement in the fake encounter.
The CBI move hasn`t gone down well with the IB and its chief SA Ibrahim has complained to the PMO.
Reports said the agency may question the IB officer on June 18 in connection with the case.
The role of Kumar, a 1979-batch IPS officer from Madhya Pradesh cadre, is under scanner for allegedly providing fake intelligence input. Kumar was posted in the Gujarat Intelligence Bureau when the fake encounter took place.
Meanwhile, the CBI has transferred IPS Satish Verma from its probe team. Verma was nominated into the Special Investigation Team (SIT) by Ishrat Jahan`s mother.
On the directive of the Gujarat High Court, the CBI had taken over the probe into the case in which 19-year-old Ishrat, Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjad Ali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004 allegedly by a Crime Branch team led by the then DIG DG Vanzara.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead