Ishrat Jahan encounter: No MHA nod to CBI to prosecute IB officers without case diary
New Delhi: The Home Ministry is unlikely to grant sanction to CBI to prosecute four Intelligence Bureau officials, including its former Special Director Rajinder Kumar, in Ishrat Jahan fake encounter killing case as the probe agency has not yet submitted the case diary for examination.
The Ministry had sought certain documents, including the case diary, from CBI saying examination of the material available was necessary before taking any decision on granting sanction.
"No sanction will be accorded without proper application of mind for which material available on record is required. Since CBI has not yet shared the case diary, we are not in a position to take any decision," a Home Ministry official said.
The Home Ministry and CBI are at loggerheads over granting sanction to prosecute the four IB officials with the Ministry demanding the case diary before the nod can be given and the probe agency deciding to seek legal opinion on the demand.
CBI has sought sanction from Home Ministry to prosecute Kumar and three other officers P Mittal, M K Sinha and Rajiv Wankhede in connection with the fake encounter killing of college student Ishrat, in which the charge sheet has been filed after completion of the investigation.
According to the law, a case diary which is maintained by the Investigating officer can be shared only with the court.
Under the provision of Section 172 CrPC, every police officer conducting an investigation maintains a record of the probe done on each day in a case diary in a prescribed format.
These diaries are important record of investigation carried out by an Investigating Officer. Any court may send for the case diary of a case under inquiry or trial in such court and may use such diaries, not as evidence in the case, but to aid it in such inquiry or trial.
While IB, which comes under MHA, believes Ishrat Jahan encounter, in which the 19-year old student, along with three others, was killed by Gujarat crime branch in Ahmedabad in June 2004, was a genuine counter-terror operation, CBI believes otherwise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!