Ishrat Jahan was part of terror plot: Ex-IB official Rajinder Kumar
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Named by the CBI in the Ishrat Jahan “fake” encounter case, former special director of the Intelligence Bureau, Rajinder Kumar, has rubbished the allegations and reiterated his charge that Ishrat and her accomplices were part of a terror module.
Kumar claimed that he is innocent and that the case won`t stand in court. Speaking to a news channel, Kumar stressed that no criminality was involved in the 2004 operation in Gujarat that ended with the death of Ishrat, her friend Javed Sheikh alias Parnesh Pillai in Gujarat and two others believed to be Pakistani nationals. The entire incident was projected as an encounter by the Gujarat police.
The CBI had filed a chargesheet in the special court in Ahmedabad, last week, against Kumar, a 1979-batch IPS officer, and P Mittal, MK Sinha and Rajiv Wankhede. Kumar has been charged with criminal conspiracy and murder while the other three were slapped with charges of criminal conspiracy, wrongful confinement, kidnapping and wrongful concealment of facts.
Kumar was also slapped with additional charges under the Arms Act for allegedly providing arms and ammunition used in the case on June 15, 2004.
Defending the operation, Kumar said, "We are not vultures; we don`t target innocent people,” adding that the CBI had little clue about how counter-terrorism works.
"I performed my duty," he said.
The CBI is set to approach the government seeking sanction for prosecution against Kumar and the other three Intelligence Bureau officials after Attorney General GE Vahanvati suggested that CBI needed a prior nod before prosecuting Intelligence Bureau officers in the case.
Vahanvati later said that not taking the sanction at the time of filing the chargesheet is not fatal to the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...