Ishrat Jahan was part of terror plot: Ex-IB official Rajinder Kumar
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Named by the CBI in the Ishrat Jahan “fake” encounter case, former special director of the Intelligence Bureau, Rajinder Kumar, has rubbished the allegations and reiterated his charge that Ishrat and her accomplices were part of a terror module.
Kumar claimed that he is innocent and that the case won`t stand in court. Speaking to a news channel, Kumar stressed that no criminality was involved in the 2004 operation in Gujarat that ended with the death of Ishrat, her friend Javed Sheikh alias Parnesh Pillai in Gujarat and two others believed to be Pakistani nationals. The entire incident was projected as an encounter by the Gujarat police.
The CBI had filed a chargesheet in the special court in Ahmedabad, last week, against Kumar, a 1979-batch IPS officer, and P Mittal, MK Sinha and Rajiv Wankhede. Kumar has been charged with criminal conspiracy and murder while the other three were slapped with charges of criminal conspiracy, wrongful confinement, kidnapping and wrongful concealment of facts.
Kumar was also slapped with additional charges under the Arms Act for allegedly providing arms and ammunition used in the case on June 15, 2004.
Defending the operation, Kumar said, "We are not vultures; we don`t target innocent people,” adding that the CBI had little clue about how counter-terrorism works.
"I performed my duty," he said.
The CBI is set to approach the government seeking sanction for prosecution against Kumar and the other three Intelligence Bureau officials after Attorney General GE Vahanvati suggested that CBI needed a prior nod before prosecuting Intelligence Bureau officers in the case.
Vahanvati later said that not taking the sanction at the time of filing the chargesheet is not fatal to the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH