Ishrat Jahan was part of terror plot: Ex-IB official Rajinder Kumar
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Named by the CBI in the Ishrat Jahan “fake” encounter case, former special director of the Intelligence Bureau, Rajinder Kumar, has rubbished the allegations and reiterated his charge that Ishrat and her accomplices were part of a terror module.
Kumar claimed that he is innocent and that the case won`t stand in court. Speaking to a news channel, Kumar stressed that no criminality was involved in the 2004 operation in Gujarat that ended with the death of Ishrat, her friend Javed Sheikh alias Parnesh Pillai in Gujarat and two others believed to be Pakistani nationals. The entire incident was projected as an encounter by the Gujarat police.
The CBI had filed a chargesheet in the special court in Ahmedabad, last week, against Kumar, a 1979-batch IPS officer, and P Mittal, MK Sinha and Rajiv Wankhede. Kumar has been charged with criminal conspiracy and murder while the other three were slapped with charges of criminal conspiracy, wrongful confinement, kidnapping and wrongful concealment of facts.
Kumar was also slapped with additional charges under the Arms Act for allegedly providing arms and ammunition used in the case on June 15, 2004.
Defending the operation, Kumar said, "We are not vultures; we don`t target innocent people,” adding that the CBI had little clue about how counter-terrorism works.
"I performed my duty," he said.
The CBI is set to approach the government seeking sanction for prosecution against Kumar and the other three Intelligence Bureau officials after Attorney General GE Vahanvati suggested that CBI needed a prior nod before prosecuting Intelligence Bureau officers in the case.
Vahanvati later said that not taking the sanction at the time of filing the chargesheet is not fatal to the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened