Ishrat not `fidayeen`, says family
Mumbai: The family of Ishrat Jahan, who was
killed along with three alleged terrorists in 2004 in an
encounter, today repudiated media reports attributed to LeT
operative David Headley that she was a `fidayeen` and sought
clarity on the issue from Home Minister P Chidambaram.
"I believe that my daughter was innocent and that she
could never have done this. We always teach our children to
love our country and this report is incorrect," her mother
Shamima Kausar told reporters.
According to reports, Headley has claimed before an NIA
team in the US that Ishrat, a resident of Mumbai, was
recruited by top LeT Commander Muzammil who was in charge of
the outfit`s operations in India till 2007.
"We demand that Home Minister P Chidambaram clarify
within two days the truth and also confirm whether Headley had
indeed told NIA that Ishrat was a fidayeen," Abdul Rauf Lala,
a family friend, said.
Ishrat, 19, was killed along with Javed Sheikh alias
Pranesh Pillai and two Pakistani nationals -- Amjad Ali and
Jishan Johar Abdul Ghani -- on June 15, 2004.
As per police records, they were intercepted on the
outskirts of Ahmedabad, travelling in a car. When they were
confronted, an encounter ensued in which all were shot dead.
Gujarat Police had claimed that the terrorists were in
the state to attack Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city