Ishrat not `fidayeen`, says family
Mumbai: The family of Ishrat Jahan, who was
killed along with three alleged terrorists in 2004 in an
encounter, today repudiated media reports attributed to LeT
operative David Headley that she was a `fidayeen` and sought
clarity on the issue from Home Minister P Chidambaram.
"I believe that my daughter was innocent and that she
could never have done this. We always teach our children to
love our country and this report is incorrect," her mother
Shamima Kausar told reporters.
According to reports, Headley has claimed before an NIA
team in the US that Ishrat, a resident of Mumbai, was
recruited by top LeT Commander Muzammil who was in charge of
the outfit`s operations in India till 2007.
"We demand that Home Minister P Chidambaram clarify
within two days the truth and also confirm whether Headley had
indeed told NIA that Ishrat was a fidayeen," Abdul Rauf Lala,
a family friend, said.
Ishrat, 19, was killed along with Javed Sheikh alias
Pranesh Pillai and two Pakistani nationals -- Amjad Ali and
Jishan Johar Abdul Ghani -- on June 15, 2004.
As per police records, they were intercepted on the
outskirts of Ahmedabad, travelling in a car. When they were
confronted, an encounter ensued in which all were shot dead.
Gujarat Police had claimed that the terrorists were in
the state to attack Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door