`ISI indoctrinated IC-814 hijack suspect`
Jammu: Mehrajuddin alias Javed, a top militant who was arrested during an operation in Kishtwar forest belt on Wednesday night, has given details of the IC-814 hijacking in 1999 to the Jammu and Kashmir police.
In a shocking revelation, , Dilbagh Singh, the Inspector General (IG) of police of Jammu region, said on Thursday that Mehrajuddin sent ammo to India for militancy via diplomats of a specific country. The Jammu and Kashmir police suspect that this diplomatic channel was used for hijacking India-bound plane from Nepal in 1999.
Mehrajuddin, however, has not admitted his involvement in the hijacking, but said he was present in Nepal and he was connected to `agencies`.
Singh, however, added that details provided by Mehrajuddin during interrogation are being verified.
According to Singh, Mehrajuddin visited Pakistan many times with different passports and identity every time. He has told the Jammu and Kashmir police that "Gilani Saab" helped him get a visa at one time. He also claimed to have more than six identities, adding that he is married to a Hindu girl.
The terror suspect, who was operating for the last 25 years in the state, was indoctrinated by Pakistan’s intelligence agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Singh said. After working with underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and his `D Company` in Pakistan, Mehrajuddin came to Delhi and did hawala work. He then went to Nepal.
Mehrajuddin alias Javed is also a close associate of United Jihad Council (UJC) chief Syed Salahuddin.
He allegedly provided logistic support for hijacking of the Indian aircraft to Kandahar from Nepal.
The Indian Airlines plane, with mainly Indians passengers, had taken off from Nepal on December 24, 1999 and just as it entered Indian airspace, the militants hijacked it to Kandahar in Afghanistan. The hijackers also killed one passenger.
The hijacking ended when the Indian government released three terrorists including Maulana Masood Azhar and Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh for the safe return of the passengers.
Mehrajuddin was one of the first five militants including Salahuddin who crossed over into PoK in 1987 to get arms training.
He belongs to militancy affected Sopore town of North Kashmir and was a member of UJC, an umbrella group of several militant outfits.
Police have described his arrest as a big catch.
Mehrajuddin has worked for almost all militant organisations including Islamic Front, Muslim Mujahiddin, Hizbul Mujahiddin and others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared