‘ISI was eyeing ex-Indian military personnel’
Washington: Pakistan`s spy agency ISI was
planning recruitment of retired Indian military personnel to penetrate into the system and then use them for its anti-India activities, according to LeT operative David Headley.
Less than six months before the November 2008 Mumbai
attacks, Major Iqbal, Headley`s handler in ISI, asked him to
put an advertisement in a Mumbai newspaper that an employment
agency in Canada was looking for people to work in Canada, the
LeT operative said in his testimony before a Chicago court
during the recently-concluded trial of Tahawwur Rana.
This was to be a cover to hiring military personnel, at
the direction of Major Iqbal who had earlier directed him to
use the immigration business of Rana for the planning of 26/11
"He (Major Iqbal) told me to put an ad in a newspaper,
which was -- like an employment agency looking for people to
work in Canada. And amongst those many various types of jobs,
he wanted to put in security personnel because he thought
retired military people would respond to that kind of advertisement.
"In fact, we added that part in the ad where it said
military service preferred," Headley told the court in
response to a question from the public prosecutor.
"And why were you putting the `military service referred`
into the ad?" the attorney asked. "So that we might get a
better response from retired military personnel," Headley
"Was Major Iqbal asking you to engage Indian military,
retired people?" the US attorney asked. "Yes," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report