Israel hails India ties in `difficult period`
London: Israel has hailed its warm diplomatic ties with India, saying the two sides have made great strides forward as economic partners, working together in everything from alternative technology to space and agriculture.
"We have a warm diplomatic relationship between Israel and India, which since the establishment of formal ties in 1992 has shown the fruits of economic cooperation and cultural exchange. We are now trying to also foster tri-lateral British, Israeli and Indian, economic ties," Israeli deputy ambassador to the UK, Eitan Na`eh, said last evening.
Addressing a gathering of the Indian Jewish Association in London, he said that Jews have lived in India over 2,000 years and have never been discriminated against.
"This is something unparalleled in Jewish history."
Elaborating further on the relationship, he said, "In recent years, Israel and India have made great strides forward as economic partners, working together in everything from alternative technology to space exploration and of course agriculture, with the Indo-Israeli agricultural cooperation project set to establish 30 centres of agricultural excellence across 30 states in India during the coming decade."
"The growing exchange of ideas and cultures between Israel and India, between Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs is what drives Israel forward to the peaceful future we have been dreaming of for 66 years with our neighbours. May we see it speedily in our times."
Talking about the new round of violence between Israel and Palestinians that has killed over 850, he said, "We want peace in our region to look like ? the amazing ties that the Indian Jewish Association has fostered between Indians and Jews, two immigrant communities in this country, but also about the harmonious and peaceful existence that Jews have always enjoyed in India."
"We hope that Hamas will soon agree to a ceasefire and also that we can soon return to the negotiating table to continue working towards an independent Palestinian state alongside Israel and have peace with it," he added.
He was speaking against the backdrop of British foreign secretary Philip Hammond`s warning that the West was "losing sympathy" with Israel over civilian casualties in Gaza.
Indian High Commissioner to the UK, Ranjan Mathai, who has also served as Indian ambassador in Israel in the past, highlighted the bond of democracy between the two countries.
"What is most significant for both our communities is that we are absolutely committed to democracy and that is what gives us the greatest strength and ability to work together.
"These indeed are sombre times but there is a space for countries like ours to work together and make the world a better place; to produce solutions that really matter to people. India maintains a very, very strong relationship with Israel, not only in the bilateral sense but in the global arena," Mathai said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly