Israeli diplomat attack: Court takes cognisance of chargesheet
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday took cognisance of the charge sheet filed in the Israeli diplomat attack case, indicting Indian journalist Syed Mohammad Kazmi of conspiring with foreign elements and others in the terror strike.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vidya Prakash took cognisance of the charge sheet and has fixed the matter for August 23.
The Delhi Police told the court that at this stage of investigation, there was enough evidence to take cognisance of the charge sheet.
The court declined Kazmi`s counsel plea to make submissions and supplied him the copy of the charge sheet.
Kazmi has been booked under various provisions of the anti-terror law, Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA), the Explosive Substances Act and other sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) including the attempt to murder.
In its over 550-page charge sheet filed in the court on July 31, the Special Cell of Delhi Police has said Kazmi was in touch with Houshang Afshar Irani, who is responsible for executing the terrorist attack, and had facilitated him in the same.
It has also said that while Irani was in touch with Kazmi through mobile phone, he was also in contact with Sedaghatzadeh Masoud and Syed Ali Mahdiansadr.
Irani, Sedaghatzadeh, Mahdiansadr and one Mohammadreza Abolghashemi, have been named as suspects in the charge sheet.
According to the police, Irani had visited India on April 25, 2011 and left the country on May 6, 2011. He had come back to India again on January 29, 2012, but left for Malaysia on February 13 evening, within hours after the attack on the Israeli diplomat here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof