Israeli diplomat attack: Kazmi`s JC extended
New Delhi: A Delhi court Friday dismissed the bail plea of journalist Syed Mohammad Kazmi, arrested for his alleged role in a terror attack on an Isreali diplomat, and extended his judicial custody till July 3 amid a piquant legal situation.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav extended Kazmi`s custody amid a queer situation arising out of a sessions court ruling earlier this month, questioning the magisterial court`s power to extend the judicial or police custody of an accused under anti-terror law, Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
The magisterial court`s power to deal with the issues related to the custody of terror accused had been questioned by Additional Sessions Judge S S Rathi on June 8.
"...Neither they (Kazmi or the police) nor the court of CMM per se took the pain to see, assess and evaluate as to whether a CMM`s court at all has any jurisdiction to pass orders granting police custody remand, repeated custody remand and order extending the period of investigation / detention from 90 to 180 days," the ASJ had said.
ASJ Rathi had given his order on a revision petition by Kazmi against extension of his custody and that of the probe period of the case against him by another 90 days.
With Kazmi`s judicial custody expiring today, he was first produced before CMM Yadav, who refused to deal with the issue of extension of his custody citing ASJ Rathi`s June 8 order and referred the matter to court of ASJ S C Malik, who was the officiating sessions judge for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!