Israeli diplomat attack: Kazmi`s JC extended
New Delhi: A Delhi court Friday dismissed the bail plea of journalist Syed Mohammad Kazmi, arrested for his alleged role in a terror attack on an Isreali diplomat, and extended his judicial custody till July 3 amid a piquant legal situation.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav extended Kazmi`s custody amid a queer situation arising out of a sessions court ruling earlier this month, questioning the magisterial court`s power to extend the judicial or police custody of an accused under anti-terror law, Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
The magisterial court`s power to deal with the issues related to the custody of terror accused had been questioned by Additional Sessions Judge S S Rathi on June 8.
"...Neither they (Kazmi or the police) nor the court of CMM per se took the pain to see, assess and evaluate as to whether a CMM`s court at all has any jurisdiction to pass orders granting police custody remand, repeated custody remand and order extending the period of investigation / detention from 90 to 180 days," the ASJ had said.
ASJ Rathi had given his order on a revision petition by Kazmi against extension of his custody and that of the probe period of the case against him by another 90 days.
With Kazmi`s judicial custody expiring today, he was first produced before CMM Yadav, who refused to deal with the issue of extension of his custody citing ASJ Rathi`s June 8 order and referred the matter to court of ASJ S C Malik, who was the officiating sessions judge for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe