Israeli foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman resigns
Jerusalem: Israel`s ultra-nationalist Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman on Sunday resigned over prosecutors` decision to charge him for fraud and breach of trust.
Lieberman`s resignation would go into effect on Tuesday but he hasn`t resigned from his Knesset (Israeli parliament) seat.
54-year-old Lieberman, also the deputy Prime Minister, announced on Friday that he would quit to fight the charges leveled against him.
He denies any wrongdoing in the case, which involved an Israeli diplomat who was promoted after leaking information to him about a police investigation into his activities.
"As you know I have no concerns," he said after submitting his resignation letter to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Lieberman is hoping for a swift trial that would allow him to return to office after the January 22 general elections.
"Overall I had a fascinating four years at the government and Foreign Ministry. I enjoyed working with the Prime Minister (Netanyahu) and the government. Naturally there were ups and downs but all in all it was truly a fascinating time," he said after tendering resignation.
"I am saying goodbye temporarily. As you have noticed I have been in this office, on this floor since 1996. I suppose the break will be very brief this time," said the Yisrael Beteinu party Chairman, whose party is contesting elections on a joint list with Netanyahu`s ruling Likud party.
Expressing his desire to focus on election campaign, Lieberman said, "I have no concern. The only concern I have is for the voting public."
He also rejected claims in some parts of the media that he would go for a plea bargain that would spare him of any charges of "moral turpitude" so that he can return to office.
"The plan is not to go for a plea bargain, but to get to court. A trial is the right way," he said.
Although Netanyahu`s rightist party alliance is expected to return to power but opinion polls have recently shown a massive dip in electoral support for the Likud and Yisrael Beteinu joint list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Our plan was to bowl maiden overs against West Indies, says Umesh Yadav
- India bowled with a lot of discipline, says Kraigg Brathwaite
- Time's up for VHS! Last company making VCRs to stop its production this month
- RIP Tiger: Retired police dog who helped in detecting bombs during 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks passes away
- Four including child dead after shooting in Texas apartment complex