Israeli foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman resigns
Jerusalem: Israel`s ultra-nationalist Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman on Sunday resigned over prosecutors` decision to charge him for fraud and breach of trust.
Lieberman`s resignation would go into effect on Tuesday but he hasn`t resigned from his Knesset (Israeli parliament) seat.
54-year-old Lieberman, also the deputy Prime Minister, announced on Friday that he would quit to fight the charges leveled against him.
He denies any wrongdoing in the case, which involved an Israeli diplomat who was promoted after leaking information to him about a police investigation into his activities.
"As you know I have no concerns," he said after submitting his resignation letter to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Lieberman is hoping for a swift trial that would allow him to return to office after the January 22 general elections.
"Overall I had a fascinating four years at the government and Foreign Ministry. I enjoyed working with the Prime Minister (Netanyahu) and the government. Naturally there were ups and downs but all in all it was truly a fascinating time," he said after tendering resignation.
"I am saying goodbye temporarily. As you have noticed I have been in this office, on this floor since 1996. I suppose the break will be very brief this time," said the Yisrael Beteinu party Chairman, whose party is contesting elections on a joint list with Netanyahu`s ruling Likud party.
Expressing his desire to focus on election campaign, Lieberman said, "I have no concern. The only concern I have is for the voting public."
He also rejected claims in some parts of the media that he would go for a plea bargain that would spare him of any charges of "moral turpitude" so that he can return to office.
"The plan is not to go for a plea bargain, but to get to court. A trial is the right way," he said.
Although Netanyahu`s rightist party alliance is expected to return to power but opinion polls have recently shown a massive dip in electoral support for the Likud and Yisrael Beteinu joint list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'