ISRO to release report that indicted Nair
Bangalore: The Department of Space is in the
process of getting clearances for release of reports of two
committees on the controversial Antrix-Devas deal on the basis
of which former ISRO chief G Madhavan Nair and three other
scientists were barred from holding any government posts.
This was announced today by ISRO Chairman K Radhakrishnan,
also the DOS Secretary, in a brief statement in his first
comments on the issue ever since the controversy erupted over
the damning action taken against the four space scientists.
Radhakrishnan said DOS was in the process of getting
necessary clearances for releasing reports of the High Powered
Review Committee and the High Level Team formed to examine
various aspects of the Antrix-Devas agreement of January 2005.
The government had on February 10, 2011 set up the High
Powered Review Committee with B K Chaturvedi and Prof Roddam
Narasimha as members to review the technical, commercial,
procedural and financial aspects of the agreement.
The five-member high level team, headed by former Central
Vigilance Commissioner Pratyush Sinha, was set up on May 31,
2011 to examine the deal and identify the acts of omission
and commission by government officials.
Bitter over the government action, Nair has demanded an
apology from those responsible for it and dashed off a letter
to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for revoking the official
order barring them from holding government posts.
In his letter, Nair also wanted a probe into the entire
matter that led to the action that has caused outrage among
the scientific community.
Nair, the key figure behind India`s moon mission, had
accused Radhakrishnan of being responsible for the punitive
action against him and the three others because of a "personal
Reacting to today’s statement, Nair told a news channel: “Well, two lines (Radhakrishnan’s statement) doesn’t contain anything…we all know that clearance is required and just conveying that is evading the issue.”
“I don’t see there is any reason for indicting anyone of us. Report should be made public, the sooner the better…our hands are absolutely clean,” he added.
After the controversy broke out last year, the government had annulled the controversial deal between ISRO`s commercial arm Antrix Corporation and Bangalore-based Devas Multimedia for lease of space segment in S-band.
Under the deal, Antrix was to provide 70 MHz of the scarce S-Band space segment to Devas for its digital multimedia services.
This was to be done by leasing 90 per cent of the transponders in satellites GSAT-6 and GSAT-6A that are proposed to be launched by ISRO.
Devas, in turn, was to pay Antrix a total of $300 million over 12 years. The agreement was signed on January 28, 2005.
Consequently, the Department of Space (DoS) got the Cabinet approval for the building of GSAT-6 at a cost of Rs.269 crore (Rs 2.69 billion) and GSAT-6A at a cost of Rs 147 crore (Rs 1.47 billion) under the Commission`s delegated powers
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Know why sex loses its steam in couples
- Smartphone may reveal your sexual preferences