Issuance of caste certificates has become a farce: Bombay HC
Mumbai: Taking note of the revelation that authorities issued two contrary caste certificates to the same person, the Bombay High Court has observed that issuance of these certificates has become a farce.
"Our experience tells us that in many cases issuance of caste certificates by competent authority has become a farce.
In this the persons who deserve to get benefit of reservation
policy are the losers," said the division bench of Justices Ranjana Desai and A A Sayed.
In the present case, the division bench also asked the secretary of social welfare department to conduct a probe.
The petitioner in this case, one Kavita Goel, had challenged Mumbai Caste Scrutiny Committee`s decision to invalidate the certificate issued by deputy collector of Thane in August 2004.
The certificate said that she was a Chamar (a scheduled caste) and originally from Maharashtra. She got provisional admission to an engineering college under SC quota.
During the hearing in High Court, it was revealed that Thane deputy collector had in fact issued two certificates to her. The first certificate, issued in February 2001, said that she was a Chamar, but not originally from Maharashtra, as her father was from Kanpur.
According to law, a person who migrates from another state cannot get benefit of reservations in Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Two years of Modi govt: Hope has replaced hopelessness under NDA rule, says PM
- Assam Board SEBA Class 10th Examination Results 2016: SEBA HSLC Results 2016, Assam HSLC Result 2016 to be declared on May 31
- BJP's Assam MLA Angoorlata Deka's viral 'picture': You will be SHOCKED to know the truth!
- Countdown begins! 'Housefull 3' a week away from release, know who all Jacqueline Fernandez will miss!
- Riteish Deshmukh pays tribute to father on 70th birth anniversary!