Issue of Leader of Opposition is in Speaker`s court: Javadekar
Ahmedabad: Powers to appoint the Leader of Opposition (LoP) is with the Lok Sabha Speaker and not the government, Union Minister Prakash Javadekar said on Sunday.
"The Speaker has all the powers to decide who will be LoP. We (government) cannot do anything. Moreover, people of India also refused them (Congress) to have that much of a majority to claim the LoP`s post," the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs told a press conference here.
He was here to attend the engagement ceremony of BJP national president Amit Shah`s son.
Javadekar, who holds the independent charge of Information and Broadcasting, said, "We want both Doordarshan and Akashvani to be popular among the masses. I held a meeting with local officials and asked them to come with ideas to improve the content of DD and AIR," he said.
"To do that, we have decided to invite suggestions from people about what they would like to watch and listen," he said.
"We are taking steps to make Doordarshan channels available in all cable TV as well as direct to home platforms. Similarly, we need to convert the Medium Wave (MW) frequency of Akashvani to FM, as majority of radio sets catch only FM signals these days," he said.
Answering a question on the government`s preparedness to tackle a possible drought due to a delayed monsoon, Javdekar admitted that the country would be in trouble if it does not rain.
"We held detailed discussions recently about how to face this challenge. Our government will make sure that people do not face shortage of food due to delayed monsoons," he said.
"However, our country is still dependent on rains. We all should pray for enough rain, otherwise, we will face problems," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins