Issue of Leader of Opposition is in Speaker`s court: Prakash Javadekar
Ahmedabad: Powers to appoint the Leader of Opposition (LoP) is with the Lok Sabha Speaker and not the government, Union Minister Prakash Javadekar said on Sunday.
"The Speaker has all the powers to decide who will be LoP. We (government) cannot do anything. Moreover, people of India also refused them (Congress) to have that much of a majority to claim the LoP`s post," the Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs told a press conference here.
He was here to attend the engagement ceremony of BJP national president Amit Shah`s son.
Javadekar, who holds the independent charge of Information and Broadcasting, said, "We want both Doordarshan and Akashvani to be popular among the masses. I held a meeting with local officials and asked them to come with ideas to improve the content of DD and AIR," he said.
"To do that, we have decided to invite suggestions from people about what they would like to watch and listen," he said.
"We are taking steps to make Doordarshan channels available in all cable TV as well as direct to home platforms. Similarly, we need to convert the Medium Wave (MW) frequency of Akashvani to FM, as majority of radio sets catch only FM signals these days," he said.
Answering a question on the government`s preparedness to tackle a possible drought due to a delayed monsoon, Javdekar admitted that the country would be in trouble if it does not rain.
"We held detailed discussions recently about how to face this challenge. Our government will make sure that people do not face shortage of food due to delayed monsoons," he said.
"However, our country is still dependent on rains. We all should pray for enough rain, otherwise, we will face problems," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’