Issue of who will be next Prez still open: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Sunday said that the issue of who will be the next President was still open and it will hold more consultation with its allies to arrive at a decision.
"The Presidential poll process has just started. No one has filed the nomination papers...UPA has only announced its candidate and Pranab Mukherjee as their candidate.
"It is not yet locked. It is open. Who will be the next President is not yet decided...BJP and NDA are holding serious discussions on this," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain told reporters here.
"The Presidential poll is still totally open," Hussain said, while rejecting reports of differences within NDA, saying since this is an election for the country`s top job, more discussions were required.
"NDA is united, is together and is in one voice," he said, adding that "Shiv Sena was also fully with NDA and not much should be read into its absence at NDA meeting today."
He said that party leader LK Advani will hold discussions with NDA chief ministers, as well as with other leaders.
Hussain said since this is a decision regarding the President, BJP will not take a decision before talking to its chief ministers and its allies.
"NDA will reach out to its chief ministers and other parties also and then we will discuss (the issue) again... LK Advani is in touch with all," he said.
Hussain parried questions on whether BJP or NDA will field its candidate against Mukherjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre