Issues unresolved, but no conflict with China: Antony
Itanagar: Defence Minister AK Antony has stated that in spite of `unresolved issues`, there are no signs of a conflict with China.
Antony said this while interacting with mediapersons on Monday on the sidelines of the 25th Statehood Day in Itanagar, the capital of northeastern Arunachal Pradesh state.
Addressing the issue of Chinese intrusion, Antony clarified that the border situation remains peaceful, adding that Indian security forces were on guard to counter any situation.
"You know there are some unresolved problems with China. Recently, we have done an agreement with China for sorting out issues coming from all areas. In recent talks with Chinese counterparts, we have talked about a new mechanism so that is why I am saying by and large, border is peaceful. At the same time India is taking care of strengthening of capabilities to protect our national interest from any kind of challenges," said Antony.
Earlier this month, in a testimony before the Senate, US Director of National Intelligence James Clapper had said that India was wary of China`s posturing along the disputed Sino-Indian border and in the Asia-Pacific region.
He added that a limited conflict between the two Asian powers was imminent.
Antony added that the Central government was also paying serious attention to Arunachal Pradesh`s security concerns.
"For socio-economic development, for security we will give special consideration for Arunachal. We are strengthening our security apparatus," said Antony.
Arunachal Pradesh is one of the biggest issues of contention between the fast-growing Asian nations who are competing for global influence and resources.
China and India still claim vast swathes of each other`s territories along their 3,500 km (2,173 mile) Himalayan border which has largely remained peaceful since a 1962 war, but their unsettled border remains the biggest single impediment to better relations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi