IT is vehicle of radical change: Pawar
Guntur: Rajendra Pawar, Founder-
Chairman of National Institute of Information Technology
(NIIT) and chairman of NASSCOM, said on Saturday that
information technology sector is a vehicle of radical change.
Pawar delivered a lecture on `IT for National
Development` after receiving Dr Y Nayudamma Memorial Award in
Tenali town of Andhra Pradesh this evening.
The IT sector is a vehicle of radical changes, is helping
the country regain its economic glory, bridge the gender
divide, he said, adding that it also promotes economic
He said that in the eighteenth century, India was at the
peak of economic prosperity and accounted for over 22 percent
of global income, but colonisation depleted the country`s
But post-liberalisation, IT-BPO sector has put India on
the global map once again, he said, adding that IT would play
even bigger role in the country`s development in the present
The technology services sector in the country grew from
from USD 1 billion in 1990 to USD 100 billion at 2011-end, he
said, adding that it now accounts for 26 per cent of exports.
The IT sector has also helped bridge the gender divide by
providing more employment opportunities to women, he said.
"The expectation is that in future, technology will
deliver government services to citizens that will transform
"Whether it is healthcare, public distribution system,
agriculture or education, IT will be all pervasive."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj