Italian Foreign Minister calls on Krishna
New Delhi: Italian Foreign Minister Giulio
Terzi on Saturday called his Indian counterpart SM Krishna who told
him that the captain the Italian oil tanker, whose guards
killed two Indian fishermen off Kollam coast in Kerala, must
cooperate with Indian law enforcers.
During the telephonic talk, Krishna told Terzi that the
people onboard the ship `Enrica Lexie`, particularly the
Captain of the ship and the two personnel involved in the
shooting, should fully cooperate with Indian investigating
Krishna said the law should be allowed to take its course
in connection with the incident.
His remarks came in the backdrop of reports that the
Italian ship authorities refused to hand over the personnel
involved in the shooting to Indian law enforcers.
Krishna, according to a statement by the External Affairs
Ministry, said the loss of lives could have been avoided had
the naval personnel on board "Enrica Lexie" been careful and
He told his Italian counterpart that "our information
clearly indicated that the Indian fishermen were not carrying
any arms or ammunition on board their vessel. Indian fishing
vessels do not carry these on board but only fishing nets and
the fish they catch".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister