Italian Foreign Minister calls on Krishna
New Delhi: Italian Foreign Minister Giulio
Terzi on Saturday called his Indian counterpart SM Krishna who told
him that the captain the Italian oil tanker, whose guards
killed two Indian fishermen off Kollam coast in Kerala, must
cooperate with Indian law enforcers.
During the telephonic talk, Krishna told Terzi that the
people onboard the ship `Enrica Lexie`, particularly the
Captain of the ship and the two personnel involved in the
shooting, should fully cooperate with Indian investigating
Krishna said the law should be allowed to take its course
in connection with the incident.
His remarks came in the backdrop of reports that the
Italian ship authorities refused to hand over the personnel
involved in the shooting to Indian law enforcers.
Krishna, according to a statement by the External Affairs
Ministry, said the loss of lives could have been avoided had
the naval personnel on board "Enrica Lexie" been careful and
He told his Italian counterpart that "our information
clearly indicated that the Indian fishermen were not carrying
any arms or ammunition on board their vessel. Indian fishing
vessels do not carry these on board but only fishing nets and
the fish they catch".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Welspun India hires Ernst & Young to probe US export lapses
- BIZARRE PUNISHMENT! Kim Jong-Un to make North Korean athletes, who could not win medals in Rio Olympics, work in coal mines?
- OP Jaisha's illness delays Sports Ministry probe into official apathy
- Subramanian Swamy moves SC for urgent hearing on plea against ban on CSK
- Leander Paes, Andre Begemann knock out top seeds in ATP Winston-Salem Open