Italian manufacturer to give 12 VVIP choppers to IAF in 4 yrs
New Delhi: Italian helicopter manufacturer
AgustaWestland on Tuesday said it would be able to deliver the 12
VVIP choppers to the Indian Air Force within four years of
signing the contract.
After remaining stuck for almost a year in the Cabinet
Committee on Security (CCS), the Government had last week
given a go ahead to the deal for procuring 12 AW-101 choppers
for VVIPs like the President and the Prime Minister.
"We haven`t signed the effective contract yet but after
signing the contract, we would be able to deliver them in four
years," Agusta Managing Director Graham Cole said here.
He said the company had not yet heard anything officially
from the Indian government on the deal.
During the Defexpo press conference yesterday, the Defence
Minister had said the deal to procure the choppers was cleared
by the CCS after the Special Protection Group and the IAF
advised the government to do so in view of the prevailing
security scenario in the country.
The deal was stuck for almost a year after the Finance
Ministry raised objections over the high price tag attached
to the choppers.
The AW-101 will replace the fleet of Russian-origin Mi-8
and Mi-17 choppers flying with the Palam-based communication
squadron of the IAF.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know